Thursday, July 2, 2009

Get Hooked!


Last evening two of my Atomic Tunas ventured over to Sumo - ultra cool, totally swank new raw bar. Not a true fan of raw anything, I was pleasantly surprised that I could sit down at a smokeless hibachi grill, watch the pyrotechnics and dig into to the meanest fried rice, bites of shrimp and cold-water lobster while everyone around me dug into sushi before eating their grilled delights.

Maybe it's the deliciously dark design, maybe it's the bar (that glows and tempts with zillions of martinis/wine/beer) or maybe it's the fun atmosphere. Community tables (read: sitting with strangers) is fine since everyone is on the same page. I'm thinking this Wichita based outfit owned by Ivy Yang and Hiedo Nambara is a great surprise for the out-south crowd.

We went for lunch but after dark, the 16 grills will be ramped up for your choice among 140 items. Here's our sampling: fish tacos, Poke-Tini, Kansas Roll, Crispy Garlic Trio, New York Roll and tempura-coated fried ice cream (I know, I know).

Be ready to toss back hot or cold sake then watch the chopping, saucing, steaming and yes, even flinging.

Big menu, big place - even a monthly disco party in the pretty bar. This should be a hit.

Sumo
135th Roe
Leawood, KS
913-851-4888

No comments:

Post a Comment